Texas – California Water Treatment License Reciprocity

Texas – California Water Treatment License Reciprocity

American Water College proudly serves students in all 50 of the United States.  We get questions from people all over the country. One question we get frequently is “I’m moving to Texas – is my California water treatment operator certification good in Texas?”

This question of reciprocity doesn’t have one simple answer.  The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) is the agency responsible for water operator licensing.  According to their website, “TCEQ may waive qualifications, training, or an examination for a license on a case-by-case basis.”

Following is some information that will help you navigate the process of seeking reciprocity.  First, you must meet the eligibility requirements.  Next, you apply for reciprocity and provide information about your current certification/license and training history.  Finally, your application package will be evaluated by the TCEQ and a decision will be made.


To be eligible, you must:

  • Have a current license from another state, territory, or country (licensing authority);
  • Have taken an exam to receive the license;
  • Have a good compliance history, and currently be in good standing with the licensing authority that issued the license.

To verify TCEQ requirements for your license, visit TCEQ’s Requirements for a License or Registration web page.

How to Apply for Reciprocity

  • Complete an e-Application
  • Enter all the information under the reciprocity section.
  • Submit a $111 application fee. Application fees are non-refundable.
  • Upload a copy of your current license, and copies of any applicable training or course completion certificates.

The Evaluation Process

As a part of the evaluation process, the TCEQ will:

  • Request information from the licensing authority to substantiate your current license status; and
  • Determine the level or class of TCEQ license that your current license would equivocate to if reciprocity were granted.

If you have any questions, please contact the TCEQ Occupational Licensing Section at (512) 239-6133.

If you need to take any courses to meet the Texas licensing requirements, Click Here.  American Water College online courses are a convenient and affordable way to get licensed at your pace and on your schedule.